enercoast focused on strengthening the regional production of biomass as a source of bio energy. A substantiated and consolidated investment plan based on commercially viable bio-energy supply chains was presented and implemented. The business model was applied in parallel to differentiated blue-green energy clusters in the North Sea Region and ensured transfer of management expertise between the clusters and identified market interdependences.
Key aims of enercoast were to:
- Reduce regional dependency on imported energy through activation of domestic resources
- Intensify co-operation between producers of biomass, waste management and energy infrastructure authorities and stakeholders
- Diversify the deployment of alternative bio energy resources in respect of environmental criteria
- Boost regional bio energy production through enhanced supply chain economics
- Strengthen the energy co-operation within the Region's coastal societies
- Deliver a clear North Sea regional contribution to the EU renewable energy target.